Archive for June, 2007
Vous êtes cordialement invités à la présentation informelle You are
cordially invited to attend the informal presentation:
Angkor at the feet of Siva
Prof. Sachchidanand Sahai
Fellow, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Simla.
The conference will analyse the Khmer civilization in the context of
Saivism. The sites in Angkor Empire distinguished by foot-prints of
Siva (Sivapâda) will be presented on the basis of epigraphy and
Sachchidanand Sahai is an alumnus of Banaras Hindu University where
he studied Indian and Southeast Asian Art and Archaeology.
Specializing in the Khmer studies at the University of Paris,
Sorbonne (1965-69) under the supervision of eminent French savant
George Coedes, Sahai produced a pioneering doctorial thesis,
published by the EFEO in 1971. Since, he authored many publications.
The founder editor of the Southeast Asian Review, he has edited and
published thirty volumes of this journal since 1976. In 1981, he
founded the International Conference on Thai Studies. Sahai held a
chair of Southeast Asian Studies at the Magadh University, Bodh Gaya
(India) and worked as the pro-Vice Chancellor of the university in
2001. As Research Professor at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the
Arts, New Delhi (1988-90) he set up the Southeast Asia division of
the centre. Recipient of French government scholarship, Fulbright
post-doctoral Fellowship, Visiting Fellowship at Australian National
University and Maison de Science de l’ Homme (Paris), Sahai is
currently Fellow, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Simla.
18 h 30, Lundi 9 juillet 2007, au centre de l’EFEO.
Monday 9th of July 2007, at 6:30 pm at the EFEO.
Presentation will be in English – La présentation sera en Anglais
Ecole Française d’Extrême-Orient (EFEO) Siem Reap
P.O. Box 93 300, Siem Reap – Angkor
Phum Beng Don Pa, Khum Slâ Kram, Siem Reap, Cambodge
Tel: (885) (16) 635 037 / (63) 964 630 / 760 525. Tel/Fax: (855) (63)
I have a bit of a brain deficiency this week. Nothing new there. Anyway below is what’s I’ve got pegged for this week. Enjoy! And have a very fishy Sunday!
Notice: Fashion fundraiser at Monsoon has been postponed.
** Wednesday 27th **
- Film at Scandinavia Hotel, 8pm.
“Hearts and Minds” (Peter Davis)
** Thursday 28th **
- Final Talk & Closing Party. Stephane Janin.
7pm, Popil Photo Gallery, #126 St 19. 012992750
** Friday 29th **
- Critical Mass bike ride. Meet 5.15pm at the Independence Monument.
- Documentary: BALI PUNX by Ian White (AUS)
7pm, Meta House. #6 St 264, 012607465.
- thom-thom, a rock-grunge-khmer band
8pm, Gasolina, #56-58 St 57. 012373009.
- Baroque Music from British Isles & Low Countries: De Fesch, Loillet de Gent, Purcell, Handel
7pm, Art Café. #184 St 108. 012834517.
- Film at French Cultural Centre 023212124
6.30pm “Un long dimanche de fiançailles” (France). Maybe with English subtitles.
** Saturday 30th **
- Films at French Cultural Centre. 023212124
10am “Jeus Interdits” (France) (w/ subtitles)
4pm “Un long dimanche de fiançailles” (France). Maybe with English subtitles.
- Opening: Spirit House. In Takhmao (11km outside Phnom Penh).
4-7pm. Maps and details at www.sala-artspace.com, Java Café, Sala Artspace.
7pm. After party at Sala Artspace.
- Documentary: SWIMMING AGAINST THE TIDE by Tom Fawthrop (UK)
7pm @ Meta House. #6 St 264, 012607465.
- Sep Niay and the Art of Khene: Lao & Northern Thai folk music
7pm, Art Café. #184 St 108. 012834517.
** Sunday 1st **
- National Fish Day! This year’s festivities with Hun Sen take place in Takeo.
- Games at Gasolina, 4pm. Weekly games afternoon, while relaxing with some drinks in the Garden at Gasolina. Bring your favourite games, ideas, and hopefully we can get some Theatresports going too! (#56-58 St 57)
*** Stuff in Phnom Penh *** (I’ve moved advance notice to the bottom!)
Know of anything fun going on in Phnom Penh?
Email me at
Or text at
These excellent sites with what’s on guides:
And of course a BIG thank you to everyone who let me know about events!
*** Advance notice ***
- City of Ghosts Location tour